Last Updated on
A dehumidifier has been becoming an essential device for people at work as well as in daily life. You are using a dehumidifier, but one day it does not work properly.
Do you see that the device doesn’t collect water? Or is it hard for you to turn on the device?
So what’s wrong with your dehumidifier? And how to fix it?
First off, when you see these problems, quickly find a way to fix it by reading our post. We will provide you with common causes of issues, how to self-test and repair your dehumidifier. As a result, you don’t need to pay for a professional repairman.
Are you ready to explore it now?
Table of Contents
- Why Is Your Dehumidifier Not Working?
- How To Fix A Dehumidifier
- How Many Years Does A Dehumidifier Last?
- Can You Fix Your Dehumidifier Easily Now?
Why Is Your Dehumidifier Not Working?
Unlike industrial dehumidifiers, household model problems seem to be caused by external factors, not from their construction.
Before learning about the errors that cause a dehumidifier not working, you should know how it runs. Although there are many brands, models, and functions of dehumidifiers on the market, their operating principles are similar.
This device sucks in room air and removes excess moisture until it reaches the desired level of humidity. Common faults appear in the central parts of a dehumidifier such as condenser, evaporator, thermistor, fan, control panel.
Here are some common problems when using a dehumidifier:
It Cannot Turn On
If it is an entirely new device, you can contact the manufacturer for replacement or warranty. With the machine in use for some time, and it suddenly stops working, you should check to find which part has a problem.
You can consider the main electrical components because when one of these parts does not work well, the device will be significantly affected.
It Cannot Turn Off
It is usual for you not to turn off the dehumidifier in some cases or a problem can cause it. You just need to determine which one happens to your device. The treatment depends on how you use a dehumidifier.
For example, is it the first time you use a dehumidifier, and your home has high humidity? Or is the dehumidifier stuck at 60% humidity?
Or the dehumidifier is not suitable for your demand, such as the size is too small or too big for the room, the room has an open space, the dehumidifier is not in the right place. Please find the solutions for these problems in our next part.
It Cannot Collect Water
Frequently, dehumidifiers stop absorbing more air humidity when the humidity is low. And most dehumidifiers do not turn on when the temperature is 60°F or lower.
If the reservoir is empty or half full and humidity is over 60%, there may be a problem with the sensor. So you need to check the dehumidifier for specific causes to have the correct solution.
Your Dehumidifier Compressor Is Overloaded
When the device cannot collect the water, the compressor may be overloaded. Generally, an overload occurs when the device is powered through extension cords that may not be suitable for the device. It may be too long or short for a dehumidifier.
Not only that, when you turn on and off the dehumidifier too quickly, the compressor can get very hot and can cause many unwanted problems such as not collecting water or not turning on.
Your Dehumidifier Fan Cannot Work
This error may be caused by a broken fan motor, fan gear, or propeller. You need to know the cause to fix it well.
That’s all for the reasons why your dehumidifier does not work correctly.
Let’s take a closer look at how to fix them.
How To Fix A Dehumidifier
To make it easy for you to follow, we offer ways to test and solve the problems mentioned above. Check them out right now.
When Dehumidifier Cannot Turn On
You need to diagnose problems with the main electrical components such as sensors, electronic control panels, humidistat, bucket level switches, and float assembly.
- Check if the power supply works by plugging other devices into the same outlet or put your dehumidifier to other power sources.
- Test the float assembly to see if it is not blocked, can move freely, and contact the float switch well.
- Check the humidity, turn the dial, and hear a click sound. It means that the humidistat can work. Or use a multimeter to check the operation.
- Consider whether the sensor connections are securely attached to the control panel for smooth operation. You should replace the sensor when the harness is loose or not connected.
- If you check separately and find that the compressor and the fan system are working, then the electronic control panel has a problem. Then you should replace it.
- Use a multimeter to find out if the level switch is in good condition or not. Make sure that the bucket is not full of water, put the float assembly in contact with the switch correctly for proper operation.
When Dehumidifier Cannot Turn Off
Dehumidifiers that cannot be turned off can be a regular thing, but it may also be caused by a problem.
- If this is your first time to use a dehumidifier and your home has high humidity, the device keeps running until the relative humidity is balanced.
- Moreover, some types of dehumidifiers have a continuous mode, so it works until you change the settings. The compressor will turn off after reaching the set relative humidity level, then the fan will also turn off later.
In some other cases, you should check:
- When the humidity is below 40°F, and there is fog on the coil, causing the fan to remain active and work hard to defrost the device. At that time, the compressor shuts down, and the fan stays on until the coil is defrosted.
- Or the air filter can get clogged with dirt, causing room humidity to rise again, and dehumidifiers need to work to lower it down in continuous mode.
Many reasons may prevent your dehumidifier from dropping from 60% moisture level. You need to see how the machine fits your needs and how you use a dehumidifier.
- You should not use a dehumidifier that is too small or big for the room or don’t use the device in an open space.
- You need to install a dehumidifier properly. For example, you spend a minimum of 3-4 days to remove moisture completely and achieve a comfortable dryness with a new dehumidifier.
- You should not place a dehumidifier on a cold floor or near a wall that could expose it to 60% moisture. It is excellent to place a dehumidifier a few inches above the floor or you can put it on a table in the middle of the room but away from walls and windows. Or avoid placing it near the dryer in the laundry room.
When Dehumidifier Cannot Collect Water
You should check to make sure that the device is turned on, the bucket is full, and the humidity of the room is over 60%.
If the sensor malfunctions send a wrong signal to the parts, it prevents the device from capturing water. You need to clean or replace the sensor with suitable parts from the manufacturer.
How to clean the sensor:
- You disconnect the power, see the user guide to find the sensor position. Then remove the control panel cover, disconnect the sensor assembly, and wipe with a soft cloth and alcohol. Finally, you put the parts back in and turn on the device.
- You track the operation of the sensor assembly. If it still does not work, you can contact the manufacturer for the replacement or repair during the warranty period.
When Dehumidifier Compressor Is Overloaded
You use a multimeter to check for compressor overload. If the meter does not move or is at zero, there is an overload of the compressor. When the meter runs from 0 Ω to infinite resistance, then the compressor works correctly.
A tip here is that you should let the device rest for 10 minutes after turning off to balance the pressure in the unit. Thus, the compressor will operate more durable.
When Dehumidifier Fan Cannot Work
When you turn on the dehumidifier, and it is suddenly silent, its fan may be burnt and need to be fixed. Let’s follow these steps to check:
- You turn off the device, take out all the parts, and remove the fan. Check the damage of the bents and blades.
- Then try rotating the fan to ensure it doesn’t rub against its case and waving the fan motor shaft to see if it gets loose or not. After that, you need to tighten the screw.
- When these actions don’t solve the problem and the blades are bent and rubbed against the case, you should replace the fan.
- Furthermore, you can use a multimeter to see the operation of the motor fan. If the fan does not run at all, you need to replace it.
How Many Years Does A Dehumidifier Last?
The National Association of Builders estimates the average life of a dehumidifier is about eight years. The research is based on data collected from manufacturers, trade associations, and researchers.
However, many people using residential dehumidifiers say that the device often lasts three to five years when they use consistently under normal operating conditions.
In particular, the lifetime of a dehumidifier is based on your usage and maintenance. Your device will have more problems when being used throughout the year than only used in the summer.
When you place a dehumidifier that is too small compared to space, you will make it quickly damaged by the continuous operation of excess moisture removal.
Therefore, we bring you some useful tips for dehumidifier maintenance, including:
- First of all, a typical dehumidifier may not work well when the temperature is below 40°F. Also, the evaporating coils freeze below this temperature, you need to defrost the coil by turning off the machine for an hour or two.
- Next, remember to place your dehumidifier near the room center and on a stable object, 10” above the floor, and 5ft away from obstacles.
- Additionally, you should clean and monitor the filter regularly, plug the device directly into an electrical outlet, and turn off the dehumidifier when nobody is home.
- Finally, you close the windows and doors in the room when dehumidifying and empty buckets of water regularly to avoid spillage and damage to electricity.
Last but not least, you should clean your dehumidifier regularly to enhance its proper running.
- You should first carefully read the instructions that come with your device to find out the right care and usage information.
- Then, you unplug your dehumidifier, grab a dry cloth, and wipe the outside. If the cover is very dirty, you can clean it with a damp cloth with water or a cleaning solvent.
- Then, you clean the reservoir by adding liquid soap and water to the bucket, then rub, rinse and dry before putting it back into the device.
- The next step is to clean the air filter. Remove the air filter and wash it with a sponge and soapy water. You also need to let it dry before reinstalling. You can continue to vacuum or use the brush to clean out any remaining stains.
- Lastly, you remove and clean the bucket filter. You wash it with warm water and let it dry, then reinstall into the device.
Can You Fix Your Dehumidifier Easily Now?
With the above problems of a dehumidifier, you can handle them quite easily now. We hope that you can find it simple to use your device and feel comfortable in your house.
However, you should not be subjective that you can fix it without regular repair and maintenance. These actions will help extend the lifetime of the dehumidifier and save the cost of repairs.
In case you cannot solve the errors of your dehumidifier, call for support from the manufacturer or service company.