When somebody smokes inside your house, you tend to think that cigarette smoke would disappear into thin air. However, even a small amount of smoke can cause health issues to your family members.
The most effective way to get rid of cigarettes, tobacco, and wildfire smoke is using an air purifier for smoke
Struggling in choosing an air purifier? In this article, we give detailed reviews so you can select the best air purifier for smoke based on your needs. Keep reading to learn more because we have compiled a list of five best products for you to choose.
Top 5 Best Air Purifiers for Smoke
This comparison table will give you an overall picture about our list of Top 5 Best Air Purifiers for Smoke. Besides the basic information, the “Special Feature” item shall distinguish the best add-on of each product on the list.
|Coway AP-1512HH||High||12.35 pounds||3-year limited||361 sq. ft.||All for filter systems work with evenly high efficiency|
|Levoit LV-H126||Low||6.6 pounds||2-year limited||Small area||Efficient HEPA filtration system|
|Medium||11.99 pounds||N/A||350 sq. ft.||6-in-1 purification system|
|GENIANI Home Purifier||Low||6.6 pounds||2-year limited||400 sq. ft.|
6-in-1 purification system
ARB-certified HEPA filter
|Purezone 3-in-1||Low||8.54 pounds||5-year limited||200 sq. ft.||Filter Reset Indicator / Whisper-Quiet Operation|
1. Coway AP-1512HH Air Purifier – Best Overall
The Coway AP-1512HH Air Purifier can effectively manage to filter the air in areas up to 361 square feet. The manufacturer applies a four-stage filtration process in this unit:
- Washable pre-filter: applicable for large particles such as hair and dust. This filter layer will last up to 2-3 years with no replacement needed.
- Carbon filter: the main task is removing strong odors and harmful gases. This layer catches smaller particles such as pollen and dust bunnies to clean the air of bad smells.
- True High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter: captures the smallest particles, especially the smoke and pollen particulates.
- Ionizing filter: the last filter when getting the air particles back into the area. This is an optional feature since some studies consider this function as a health concern. The ionizer produces a small amount of ozone, but it is undetectable. You can disable this function if you worry about inhaling the ozone in the air.
Besides the ozone problem, the ionizer is polarized based on the purposes of use from customers. It captures the negative air particles and releases them after. The negative particles then bond with the positive ones and become heavier and sink in the ground.
So you will notice that your room surface tends to be dusty after running the purifier for a few minutes. A vacuum or electronic sweeper is a great solution for this small problem.
One of the best things about this air purifier is its portable design. The Coway AP-1512HH is an incredibly lightweight air-cleaners on the market. It only weighs about 12.35 pounds, which allows you to move it from place to place at ease.
Moreover, the purifier consumes the lowest energy level of only 4.9 watts. By this way, the Coway unit increases not much of your monthly utility bill. We estimate that the annual cost for processing the machine daily is only $27.
- Effective four-stage filtration system
- Portable and lightweight design
- Easy to move and deliver
- Most efficient energy process
- Cost less for monthly utility bills
- Produces a small amount of dust when operating
- Quite pricey
Figure 1. Coway AP-1512HH
In essence, the Coway AP-1512HH’s quality is certified by AHAM and ARB, meaning its high-quality is undeniable. Many customers give Coway AP-1512HH Air Purifier the loudest praise due to its compact size.
2. Levoit LV-H126 Air Purifier – Best Budget Saving Air Purifier
Compared to other air purifiers on the market, Levoit LV-H126 is one of the most budget-friendly air purifiers on the market in 2019. Even though Levoit always keeps the price under $50 for most of their models, this Levoit unit still offers excellent performance.
Despite the reasonable price, the most popular air purifier of the American brand- Levoit still contains a quality three-stage filtration system like other high-end models. The purification system contains a pre-filter, a True HEPA filter, and an activated carbon filter.
Especially, the True HEPA filter can reduce dust mites, virus particles, pollen, and bacteria that up to 0.3 microns. The True HEPA filter is verified to remove 99.9% of smoke, dust, odor, and pet dander.
Besides, the performance of the LV-H126’s HEPA filter is 10% better than other HEPA-featured models. The design of this unit is state-of-the-art with two main colors of black and white.
The effective coverage area of the Levoit LV-H126 model is only 100 square feet. Hence, it is only suitable for small spaces such as a private area or a baby room.
- Cheapest price
- Quality True HEPA filtration system
- Neat and modern design
- Only fit with the small spaces
- Release a small amount of ozone
Figure 2. Levoit LV-H126
Overall, Levoit LV-H126 is the best air purifier for smoke under $100 on our list. We believe this unit is ideal for families with new-born babies due to its quiet mode. This purifier is capable of giving a clean and peaceful atmosphere for your children during the night time.
3. Hathaspace Smart Air Purifier – Best Small Space Air Purifier
If you are looking for a multi-task air purifier, Hathaspace Smart Air Purifier is worth every penny of yours. The most advanced feature is a 6-in-1 purification system combined with an automatic sensor system.
For the small areas, this unit is ultimate that can remove up to 99.97% of contaminants. The unit can purify a wide range of air pollutants, such as cigarette smoke, odors, dander, pollen, dust, and even viruses as small as 0.3 microns.
When it comes to larger space, it might reduce the efficiency of the machine. Particularly, the six-stage filtration system includes:
- Nano-cold catalyst filter: Instead of the usual washable filter, the manufacturer designs this Nano-cold filter to capture the larger particles and air dust.
- Cellular carbon filter: This layer is improved to remove a wider range of pollutants (smoke chemicals, gases, odors, etc.)
- Anti-bacterial filter: This filter has the main function of eliminating fungi and bacteria that go through the two former layers. This specialized filter ensures that there will be no bacteria growth inside the purifier.
- True-HEPA filter: Alike the HEPA filtration system in other models, this filter is made to get rid of ultra-small particles of 0.3 microns.
- UV light sterilizer: The UV light obviously can kill the bacteria and viruses. It is also effective for smoke and odor removal, making Hathaspace purifier become the best air purifier for cigarette smoke
- Ionizer: This last stage guarantees that everything that releases from the purifier will be clean and fresh.
The ionizer filter is an optional feature since there is a small level of dangerous ozone will be created. You can turn this stage off if worrying about its side effects.
The purifier comes with quality diagnosing technology. It assesses the air quality in the located space automatically and displays the information on an LED screen. The manufacturer also provides the sleep mode with the quietest level of 18 dB, so you can have a peaceful sleep when running the unit throughout the night.
- Highest rate of removing air contamination for small areas
- Innovating 6-in-1 purification system
- Quality diagnosing system
- Sleep/Quite mode
- Only fit with the average-sized area
- Release a small amount of ozone
Figure 3. Hathaspace Smart Air Purifier
Although the unit applies for most types of areas from a children’s room to the working site, its multi-functions and versatility are only optimal when used in small areas. The purifier consumes more power when processing in larger areas.
4. GENIANI Home Air Purifier – Best for Living Room
Here we have a quality air purifier from GENIANI, which is certified by the Air Resources Board (ARB). GENIANI Home Air Purifier has a cylindrical shape of 13.5 inches height and 7.5 inches diameter.
The design of GENIANI purifier is compact with futuristic vibe, which is perfect for modern common rooms.
Specifically, GENIANI Purifier is remarkably powerful for the large workplaces or living areas. While covering up to 400 square feet, its Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) is about 120m3/h, which is fast enough to constantly provide the fresh amount of air.
This unit comes with a basic 3-stage air filtration (carbon air filter, anti-bacteria filter, and HEPA filter). Especially, the HEPA filter receives the ARB-certified for its effectiveness in terminating dust, smoke, and allergen particles in the air. Also, the carbon filter does a great job in eliminating the bacteria related to health issues.
Moreover, the motor can run silently without disturbing your sleep. The average noise level that GENIANI purifier create is from 37 dB to 50 dB only.
However, due to the high motor power rate, the purifier will consume more electricity than other models.
- ARB-certified HEPA system
- Powerful for large space up to 400 sq. ft.
- High CADR (120m3/h)
- Silent mode
- No extra-functions
- High consumption of energy
Figure 4. GENIANI Home Air Purifier
With a high CADR to cover a large area for a shorter time, this purifier is a perfect machine for your living room or workplace.
5. Purezone 3-in-1 True HEPA Air Purifier – Best HEPA Air Purifier for Smoke
For the last product, we do not hesitate to introduce the wonderful PureZone 3-in-1 Air Purifier. With a reasonable price, this unit’s performance is fantastic that can purify a large area in a few hours.
The product is popular due to its effective HEPA filter for smoke. Its True HEPA filtration system is confirmed for eliminating up to 99.97% of particles, which nearly get rid of all kinds of dangerous smoke in the area. This percentage is competitively higher compared to other models in the market.
The PureZone 3-in-1 air purifier is designed to remove different types of smoke such as cigarette smoke and fireplace soot. Since even a very small amount of smoke could cause serious health problems, the ability to remove particles is crucial when determining the most suitable purifier.
The PureZone purifier has an elegant and modern look that can fit both with household and workplace area. The manufacturer offers a 5-year warranty for their product. With a 5-year coverage, you are promised the most satisfying experience with this air purifier.
Except for the high efficient True HEPA filter system, we do not see other special features of this unit. For the race to the best air purifiers, PureZone needs to add more unique functions to attract a wider range of customers.
- Cheap in price
- Most efficient HEPA filter
- Longest warranty period (5 years)
- Well treatment of asthma problems
- Not many innovative features
Figure 5. Purezone 3-in-1 Air Purifier
Regardless of your demands, the PureZone 3-in-1 is made for improving your atmosphere’s freshness. Its amazing HEPA system is a plus point when you need a strong purifier for both common or private rooms.
How to Choose the Best Air Purifier for Smoke
Before deciding which air purifier to purchase, you should ask yourself these below question.
How Small the Particles Could the Air Purifier Can Process?
Most of the air purifiers in the market come with the HEPA system to remove air contamination, especially the cigarette/tobacco smoke. Many brands confirm that their HEPA filter is effective at removing the particles of up to 0.3 microns. However, there is a vast amount of harmful pollutants that are smaller than 0.3 microns.
In this situation, the HEPA filter is often combined with other layers to purify the smoky air as effectively as possible. You need to notice which technology that the manufacturers apply and how effective it is when terminating the ultra-small particles.
Can the Air Purifier Remove the Smell of the Smoke?
The solution to the smoky smell is the carbon filter layer placed behind the HEPA layer. The type and size of the carbon filter will decide how much the air purifier can absorb the pollutants.
In the market, the mid-range air purifier’s carbon filters contain only a soft piece of carbon-impregnated sponge. With the high-end air purifier, the manufacturers equip the activated carbon layer in the machine, the quality of which will decide how effective that the purifier could remove the smoke and odors.
How Big is the Room Size?
The most common mistake in choosing an air purifier is ignoring the Air Changes per Hour (ACPH).
For instance, a manufacturer can claim that their products could cover a 40-m2 area, but do not state about the amount of time it will take. In fact, the air purifier takes 38 minutes to cover a 40-m2 room, hence its ACPH is 1.6. Compare to another purifier which is advertised to cover only 26-m2 area with up to 5.0 ACPH, the latter is 58% more effective than the former machine.
There are numerous benefits that the best air purifier for smoke can provide. The main goal of our review is to introduce to readers the top quality products so that they can make the final decision at ease.
Leave us a comment below if you have experienced one of our recommended air purifiers. We appreciate your support and please stay tuned for our next articles. Cheers!