It is essential to ensure a fresh living environment. However, despite cleaning your home regularly, you can’t manage to take care of the air in your large rooms. Thus, your house is full of bad odors and at the risk of having allergies or asthmas.
Instead, why don’t use purchase an air purifier? It can help you have cleaner air to breathe. As not all air purifiers are the same, we are here to help you pick the best large room air purifiers.
But before jumping into an in-depth analysis for each product, let’s take a look at the quick comparison table!
Table of Contents
- Quick Comparison
- In-depth Reviews on the Best Large Room Air Purifiers
- 1. Fellowes AeraMax 300 Large Room 9320501 – The Best Overall
- 2. Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier – Best Large Room Hepa Air Purifier
- 3. Honeywell HPA300 Air Purifier – Best Honeywell Large Room Air Purifier
- 4. Hathaspace Smart HSP001 – Best Large Room Air Purifier For Dust
- 5. LEVOIT Air Purifier Core 300 – Best Large Room Air Purifier for Allergies
- Large Room Air Purifier FAQs
- What to Look for When Buying A Large Room Air Purifier?
|Product||Room Size||Stages of Filtration||True HEPA filter||Our Rating|
|Fellowes Large Room Air Purifier 9320501||300 - 600 square feet||4 stages||Yes||4.7/5|
|Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier||360 square feet||3 stages||Yes||4.6/5|
|Honeywell HPA300 Air Purifier||460 square feet||2 stages||Yes||4.5/5|
|Hathaspace Smart Air Purifier HSP001||350 square feet||6 stages||Yes||4.5/5|
|LEVOIT Air Purifier Core 300||215 square feet||3 stages||Yes||4.4/5|
In-depth Reviews on the Best Large Room Air Purifiers
1. Fellowes AeraMax 300 Large Room 9320501 – The Best Overall
The Fellowes Large Room Air Purifier 9320501 is our best overall air purifier for large rooms. It is thanks to its giant area coverage of more than 300 to 600 square feet. It can remove any contaminant from the air in an effective way. How incredible it is!
Besides, it features a true HEPA filter, which is the abbreviation for High-Efficiency Particulate Air filter. A HEPA filter must satisfy the standard for physical air filtration. It must be able to remove 99,97% of all 0.3 microns particles.
Therefore, this air filter is applied with AeraSafe antimicrobial treatment and activated carbon to surely remove bacteria, smoke, and even viruses from your house effectively. It also has an odor eliminator to capture dust, mold, and germs, reducing the risks of asthmas and allergies for users.
Along with that, this Fellowes air purifier works in 4 stages:
- The first stage includes capturing several types of harmful airborne particles by carbon filters.
- Secondly, the true HEPA filter eliminates 99.97% of microscopic particles as well as allergens, germs, and smoke.
- In the third stage, the AeraSafe treatment prevents contaminants from getting in the HEPA filter.
- Lastly, plasma technology removes any remained pollutants from the air.
Some people may be worried about the noise of the air purifiers. But this one is totally different with its being noise-free. What good news!
Most interestingly, it has a filter changing indicator. When it needs changing, the indicator will automatically notify you.
Still, it is a little expensive. Still, with all the features it offers, it is worth its price, isn’t it?
- 4-stage filtration
- Activated carbon filter
- Filter changing indicator
- Quiet operation
- Somehow expensive
2. Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier – Best Large Room Hepa Air Purifier
Winix is a company based in Korean that makes a variety of products for treating indoor air. The Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with the capacity of keeping the air in your house clean is not an exception.
At first glance, this 5500-2 air purifier looks a little like the 5500 model. Yes, it is. The 5500-2 model is the evolution of the 5500 one. However, it bears a more luxurious look and design with a full black. It also has a plastic body to reduce the heat when plugged all day.
On the front, the air purifier has 5 buttons. Many users find these setting buttons useful, which are timer settings, fan settings, and some other operation modes. Besides, the buttons in the 5500-2 model are made much easier to press, giving users peace of mind.
Furthermore, it is suitable for 360 square feet area, which is equivalent to medium and large rooms like kids bedrooms, kitchens, or living rooms. Of course, you can use this in other larger rooms, but it will take you longer as the effectiveness is reduced.
What is more, it features a three-step system, which includes activated carbon, true HEPA filter, and patented plasma wave system, respectively.
- The air will go through the washable AOC carbon filter for household odors removal.
- Then, all the pet dander, dust mites, pollen, and other allergens will be trapped in the HEPA filter.
- Lastly, the filtered air will be provided with hydroxyls by the plasma wave system to help kill odors naturally.
As an air purifier of the Winix brand, this has a Smart Sensor, which is able to detect the air quality and adjust the fan speed accordingly to save the energy.
Nevertheless, it can be affected negatively by electromagnetic interference. Hence, please make sure that you place it far away from some electronics for a longer lifespan.
- 3-step filtration
- Luxurious design
- Convenient buttons
- Smart Sensor
- Affected by electromagnetic waves
3. Honeywell HPA300 Air Purifier – Best Honeywell Large Room Air Purifier
With the capacity of covering up to 460 square feet, this Honeywell HPA300 Air Purifier is suitable for large and even extra-large rooms. This is completely suitable for homeowners who are looking for a large room air purifier at an economical price.
It comes with 2 colors, black and white. Still, whatever color you pick, it always bears an elegant look with rounded edges and a metal body. This gives it a solid design that looks like it is able to set up a large fan. In fact, it is an effective air purifier with 5-time high air changes delivery every hour.
Like any other air purifier that features the true HEPA filter, this one is able to trap 99,97% of all usual particles found in your house like pet danders, mold, and dust with a minimum size of 0.3 microns. Those who own a pet can take this into consideration.
Besides, this Honeywell air purifier comes with a two-stage cleaning system. This means that two different filters will work together to eliminate any nasty particle from the air.
- The first stage is called pre-filter that includes removing odors from pets, cooking, or perfumes, reducing bad smell and bringing a fresher scent.
- In the second stage, the HEPA filter will clean the intake air bit by bit and release filtered air back into the room.
Another interesting feature of this one is its modes. The mode is divided based on performance capacities. There is a general clean for daily use, an allergen mode for pesky allergy seasons, and a germ mode for cold and flu season. There is also a turbo setting to wipe away unwanted odors quickly with fast cleaning.
And for those who want to place it in the bedroom, the dimmer option is probably what you like most. It allows you to choose either high or low or even no LED light. How convenient!
The only thing you should note is its noise. Some customers have complained that it is a little noisy.
- 2-stage filtration
- Filtering 5 times an hour
- Different cleaning modes
- Adjustable LED light
- Somewhat noisy
4. Hathaspace Smart HSP001 – Best Large Room Air Purifier For Dust
Some of you may not have heard of the Hathaspace brand before as this company offers only one air purifier product. However, the Hathaspace Smart Air Purifier HSP001 is a competitive Chinese air purifier on the market with many features that are worth appreciating.
This air purifier comes with a width of 13 inches and a height of 20 inches and weighs around 12 lbs. With such measurements, it is a little smaller than an average air purifier, making it portable enough for the elderly or women.
Along with that, the manufacturer has enhanced the filtration system, turning it into a 6-in-1 air purifier. To be more specific, the air will be going through 6 stages for a fresher atmosphere.
- The first stage is the removal of large particles and household chemicals like dander, hairs, and substances from cleaners.
- In the second stage, it will absorb all the fumes, odors, and volatile organic compounds (also known as VOCs, the substances that are dangerous for you and the environment).
- Thirdly, Nano-materials will be applied to eliminate fungi, molds, bacteria, and viruses from the air.
- The fourth filter is the use of the true HEPA filter to remove as small as 0.3 microns particles.
- Next, directly destroying the DNA, the UV light prevents floating bacteria and germs from coming back.
- Lastly, the ionizer releases negative ions (also called anions) into the air. This is totally a smart feature as it can neutralize the positive ions in air pollutants.
Furthermore, the smart air quality sensor can diagnose your air and adjust the fan speed for energy saving.
This air purifier is also equipped with a colored LED display so that you can know its status, what you are breathing, and when it is time to change the new one.
However, as it is only 20 inches high, it is quite short and thus, difficult for people to press the buttons.
- 6-stage filtration
- Smart air quality sensor
- Colored LED display
- Quite short
5. LEVOIT Air Purifier Core 300 – Best Large Room Air Purifier for Allergies
And the last air purifier we would like to introduce to you today is the LEVOIT Air Purifier Core 300. It is highly recommended for those with home allergies or having a pet.
With the 360-degree cylindrical design, its compact body is favored by many people. The white glossy finish has brought it a rainbow effect when light reflects off its surface. Besides, with a height of 14.2 inches and a width of 8.7 inches, you can place it anywhere you want, even on the shelf or on the tabletop.
With the LEVOIT air purifier, there are 3 stages in the air filtration:
- The first stage is known as pre-filter. In this stage, such large airborne particles as pet fur and hair are captured, ensuring a longer lifespan for the true HEPA filter. The pre-filter is washable and needs cleaning twice or four times a month.
- In the second stage, the true HEPA filter will trap large pollutants like dust, smoke, pollen, or pet dander as well as small particles.
- The last step is the activated carbon filter, which includes the tackling of different types of odors like cooking smells, cigarettes, and even outdoor smells.
What is more, for greater effectiveness, apart from the original filter, there are 3 other filter variants, named as pet allergy, toxin absorber, and mold & bacteria.
Furthermore, it is considered a bedroom-centric air purifier. This is thanks to its silent air cleaner. To be more specific, it is nearly voiceless at the sleep mode with the sound intensity of only 24 dB. This allows you to sleep in a soothing and restful environment.
The only drawback is the unpleasant plastic smell. However, this smell will be gone within 2 hours, so please take some time before entering the room to avoid it.
- 3-stage filtration
- Compact body
- 4 filter options
- Nearly voiceless
- The plastic smell within hours
Large Room Air Purifier FAQs
How long does it take an air purifier to clean a room?
On average, it can take about 30 minutes to 2 hours for an air purifier to clean a room, depending on the power setting, room size, and clean air delivery rate.
Most of the air purifiers are set at the highest power setting. Thus, you will find that the marketed air purifier will run much stronger. In other words, when bringing it home and turning it down to the lower setting, its capability will drop considerably.
Besides, the room size is a determining factor. If your room is around 200 square feet, then your air purifier must be able to cover at least 300 square feet. Otherwise, it will take a longer time than usual to clean your room. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you purchase an air purifier with a larger coverage for better operation.
The clean air delivery rate (also known as CADR rating) is a standardized test about the amount of air, based on cubic feet, the air purifier can take in, purify, and release per minute.
Is it possible for an air purifier to work in large rooms?
As stated above, an air purifier with a smaller capacity can work in a large room, but it will take longer.
To be more specific, normally, it will take one and a half hours for an air purifier to clean a 300 square feet room. However, when you take that air purifier to a larger room of 400 square feet, it may take 2 or even 3 hours to clean the entire room.
This not only wastes a lot of time but also makes the air purifier hotter as it requires more energy.
What is the best air purifier for a large room?
Among all the air purifiers above, the most outstanding one is the Fellowes Large Room Air Purifier 9320501.
First of all, it can cover a really large area, which can be up to 600 square feet. Those who have large rooms or want to use for living rooms and kitchens can consider this.
Secondly, it is provided with AeraSafe antimicrobial treatment and activated carbon. Obviously, it becomes a perfect option for homes with a pet.
Not only that, but the plasma technology does contribute effectively to removing pollutants from the air.
Lastly, it is noise-free and features a filter changing indicator to notify users when it is time to change the new one.
What to Look for When Buying A Large Room Air Purifier?
1. Intended Use
To pick the rightest air purifier for you, first of all, you should determine your intended use. Air purifiers are used for many purposes, including allergies, asthmas, pets, or smoke. However, not all air purifiers include every purpose in its setting. Thus, detecting your purpose is important when purchasing.
2. Air Purifier Size
As stated above, the size of air purifiers is also important as different air purifier sizes are suitable for one specific room size. It is known that small air purifiers are used for under 300 square feet rooms, while medium ones are designed for between 300 and 700 square feet rooms. Meanwhile, people use large ones for rooms of over 700 square feet.
3. Additional Features
Additional features are factors that users care about when making an order. For example, some air purifier offers a remote control while others have an indicator for life status.
Air purifiers have become much more important in today’s life. It helps to reduce the risks of allergies, asthmas, and even diseases. However, picking up the right one is not easy.
Hopefully, with our buying guide and specific reviews, you can surely find your best large room air purifier for yourself.
If you still have any questions about this topic, comment below to let us know.
And now, thanks for reading!